It’s summer! It really and truly is. Don’t believe us? Look at the glut of gorgeous fresh strawberries everywhere. The window for fresh strawberries is short, but wonderful. Make the most of it and capture some early summer in a jar with this dead easy, no-cook strawberry jam. Your kitchen stays cool because you aren’t cooking and processing—just a wee bit of warming. Plus, you retain that fresh fruit flavour!
- 5 cups fresh washed hulled and cut strawberries – cut in half at least.
- Juice of one large lemon
- Zest of one large lemon
- 1 package of gelatin (3.5 teaspoons)
- ¼ cup honey (more to taste)
- Puree one cup of your prepped strawberries in a blender or food processor.
- In a medium pot, pour in lemon juice and sprinkle geltatin on top. Allow to set for 2 minutes.
- Add the pureed strawberries to the pot and gently warm the gelatin mixture over low heat for 5 minutes to help it dissolve evenly. Stir often.
- Remove from heat and add the remaining strawberries.
- Mash with a potato masher until you get to the jam texture you like.
- Stir in the honey and lemon zest. If you like a sweeter jam, add more honey to taste.
- Pour the jam into clean jars with lids. It will keep for a week in the fridge and the freezer for ages.
Experiment with flavours! Add chopped herbs (basil, herb fennel, rosemary) or flowers (unsprayed rose petals, lavender, nasturtiums) with the honey and lemon zest.