Try making your own applesauce. If you’ve never made it before now is the perfect time to give it a try with so many apples ripening. Maybe you have them in your own backyard but if not, we have local apples at Tru Value Foods.
This recipe is the perfect combination of sweet and tart. You can also experiment and add some other fruits in with the applesauce – try cranberries, plums, pears. Almost anything will work.
This applesauce would be great to use on pork back ribs in a slow cooker.
- 10 apples, peeled, cored and quartered
- 4 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. cinnamon (or to taste)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ tsp. cloves
- 4 strips of lemon peel
- 1 cup water
- ½ tsp salt
- place apples, lemon peel, lemon juice, cinnamon, sugar, water and salt in a large pot
- bring to a boil, then lower to simmer; cover pot and cook for 25 minutes or until apples are tender
- remove from heat and take out the lemon peels
- use a potato masher to make a chunky sauce or use your blender if you prefer a smoother sauce