These rhubarb crumble bars are a tasty way to enjoy the fresh flavours local rhubarb. The tartness of the rhubarb combined with the sweet crumble topping creates a perfect balance of flavours. Eat them straight up or with a scoop of your favourite vanilla ice cream.
Crust and crumble topping:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into small cubes
- 3 cups fresh rhubarb, washed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a 9×9-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, granulated sugar, and salt for the crust and crumble topping. Add the cold cubed butter and use a pastry cutter or your hands to cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Take 1 ½ cups of the crumb mixture and set it aside for the crumble topping later. Press the remaining crumb mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking dish to form the crust.
- In another bowl, combine the rhubarb, granulated sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice for the filling. Stir until the rhubarb is coated with the sugar and cornstarch mixture.
- Spread the rhubarb filling evenly over the crust in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the reserved crumb mixture evenly over the rhubarb filling, creating the crumble topping.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until the crust and crumble topping are golden brown and the rhubarb filling is bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and let the bars cool in the baking dish for at least 20 minutes.
- Once cooled, cut into squares and serve as a delicious dessert or snack.