This cozy and warming soup is perfect for a cold winter night. The ginger adds a nice kick of heat and the carrots give it a sweet, earthy flavor. The sour cream or yogurt gives it a nice creamy texture. Serve it with some crusty bread, and enjoy the comforting bowl of carrot ginger soup.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. freshly grated ginger
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro (optional)
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for another 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add the chopped carrots and broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the carrots are very tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Use an immersion blender or transfer the soup to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot and reheat if necessary.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top each bowl with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt and a sprinkle of fresh parsley or cilantro, if desired.